Friday, May 05, 2006

Remember

I do remember what he said, "Never go into a house that doesn't have a path way leading to its front door."

I came upon a house like that today and I finally understood what he meant. It was something erie about that place. Something about that place didn't sit too well in my stomach. I wanted to turn away, but it held me captive. There in its presence I felt like re-defining who I was and where I belonged. I never want to enter a place where there is no sign of welcome. This house sat far back from the road - there was no welcome mat, no wind-chimes, no flowers growing and no God in that place. A discouraging place if you were to ask me.

A place like that almost seems lonesome - almost like, there you are staring back at you. It made me feel uneasy - I wonder if that's how people feel around me.

While looking at the dirt that covered what could have been a pathway, I wanted to run - almost like it was following me. It made me think more and more about myself, like I was looking at a picture of me. This house couldn't be a mirror image of me, right?

He said, "Well, you never know which way you should go. Because there is no path you see - hell, you could come in any way you please. To me, that's no way to enter anyone's house. The path should be laid out for you. No need in you coming into my house sideways, if the path don't say so. Shit, people likely come in your house through your ceiling if they please - I mean, why not - it ain't like you told them which way to come. That don't make no sense anyhow, should always be something welcoming folks into your place, always."

Yeah, its clear to me now. I remember!

No comments: