Monday, May 15, 2006

Movin On Up!

Okay, just when I think that it was time for me to breathe, my Sustainer says no...Keep it pushin.

I have a strong notion that says, I will be on my break longer than I expected. I have not been to the Ice House or Untamed Tongues or any other poetry joint for that matter. But, somehow poetry follows me and uses me to its advantage.

I must first share my good news and ask that all pray for me in my future endeavors. I have been asked by one of my professional teachers to try to get my short story published. The story is called "Tearing Down" - my mother says that it reminds her of our family. I guess sometimes you write things unconsciously - not knowing that in fact you are writing about you. So, I will be submitting my story soon. Pray for me!

Ahhhhhh...It sure felt good. Like watermelon on a hot sunny day or when your childhood friend finally stops being grown and comes out to play. Poetry I miss you! He asked that I speak at his wife's 40th birthday party. I was going to say no, but instead I said yes. My friend and I went there and we found ourselves surrounded by beautiful people in a beautiful place. Have you ever met people that were more into hugs than they were into handshaking. Immediately one feels like family...It was warm like that. We laughed, danced, sang, ate, and of course I had to poetry! (bad grammar,I know). I can honestly say, that it was the first time that I have performed and knew for sure that I would be getting paid. I had won the competition at the Ice House and was blessed with $500. I had performed with Kato at the Vocal Xpressions venue and was blessed with $100 and now as I was invited to perform at a birthday party I was blessed with $50. Thank you God, keep the blessings coming.

No comments: