Friday, November 17, 2006

Police!

Grace and Peace

I have been reading about police brutality for past few days and the information that is available to us is alarming. I reside in Las Vegas and who would think that Metro police would be so brutal towards the citizens. I know that I can not and I will not place all officers into my little box, but for those who fit the profile, put the shoe on. I agree that there are some things that we as citizens have to take into consideration when judging officers. I know that you all have families at home and friends, but you can not take on the position of an officer in order to take out your childhood or adolescent frustrations.

In this world there in no one poking at your pimples or chasing you around the lunch hall calling you fat. In this world there are consequences for your actions and yes, you too are under the binding of the law. Fuck your classes and your bullet proof vest! Fuck your addiction to Superman and Batman movies! This is real life and you can not simply enter the game thinking that you can do what you please to people.

Young black men of America are suffering on the account of your hands! Young Hispanic men of America are suffering on the account of your hands! Hell, even some young white men are suffering on the account of your hands! The body count is too many and the bloodshed is too much!

Stand down, shit. When do you stand down, when do you stop and think, when do you learn to try to control the situation. Who told you it was time to go crazy and just start killing people?

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO POLICE OFFICERS THAT PRACTICE BRUTALITY- WE NEED YOU TO STOP!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a Black Police Officer, I am in a unique position of hearing both my Black peoples' rant against the Police as well as my Police colleagues rant about Black people. There is so much similarities in how both camps broach the issue. They start by prefacing their comments with something in this vein: "Well I know that NOT all "Black people or Police Officers" (insert whichever is relevant) are guilty of (whatever) but......" From the basis of their viewpoints, they are both correct and justified in their rants: Police Brutality is unconscionable! Black crime, particularly Black on Black crime is villainous! Somewhere during the middle of their rants though, they will look at me (or notice me) and reassuringly state that they are NOT referring to me personally… that I am “different” from the rest… “different” from those they are ranting about! I smile. Then I ask: “Do you trust me as a Police Officer or Black Man?” They will look at me with a certain questioning gaze and answer something to the effect that “sure they do”. Then I ask them to trust me that most, a large majority of Black people and/or Police Officers are “good” people and don’t rush to conclude the opposite, no matter what “amount” of information/news/rhetoric etc. you may read or watch on t.v. On “field negro” blog, there is a dude who goes by “TNB”- “Typical Negro Behaviour” who comments specifically on negative news stories relating to Black people. With glee, he points out how these stories “prove” that Black people are criminals and morally inferior. He never comments on anything positive relating to Black people. However, from the basis of his viewpoint, he is both correct and justified in his rants… narrow though it is.

As both a Black Man and Police Officer, Police brutality and/or misconduct is unacceptable on any and many levels. I have also been the victim of both (even since I have become a Police Officer… when I am not in uniform, I am seen as just another nigg@ by some). I appreciate your post. Those who are perpetrating these acts do need to stop!

Bliss said...

Grace and Peace

Asabagna,

Thank you for the comment and it sure would be nice to speak to an officer and get their side on certain situations. I can honestly say that I know that all police officers are not bad and all black people are not bad people.

My concern, however is the relationship that people that are minorities have with police officers. Are the police automatically afraid of minorities, basing their decisions on past experiences and bias. I know that black (men in particiular) deal with police officers based off of past experiences. Either it happened to them or someone that they know.

For example, my brother is a young black brother who works a 9-5 and cuts hair on the side. He drives a really nice car and he gets pulled over almost every week. hey ask him whose car is he driving, where is he going and where does he live. They don't ask him for his driving license or insurance. When they see his work badge, they walk away without comment and leave him standing there.

Things that happen like this is my concern.

...they call me "L" said...

4-sho sis! As a fellow Vegas resident, I too can testify that these police out here are off the hook! Reminds me of my hometown L.A. When a young black man can get shot in the back while handcuffed, something's terribly wrong. When another young black man can get shot because his radio is playing too loud and the cop can't use his training to diffuse the situation, that's some crazy ish! Always keep your eyes open and tell your brother to do the same. Peace.