Friday, June 23, 2006

Song of Solomon

SHALIMONE

By the time I was introduced to who Solomon was, I was overcome by the beautiful language in which the story offered. Morrison writes with such eloquence and beauty. Song of Solomon was the third book that I have read by Morrison. Usually I get so tied up in the confusion that she offers in her writings, this time I was waiting to be confused, waiting to be mis-led, waiting for this character to pop up out of nowhere and mean everything. He/she was not there; the book was full of passion, sacrifice, love, hatred, self confusion, knowledge of self and everything possible. I loved the book for its discovery of family and of life, Morrison took me on a journey through generations of past life. It seems almost as if one of us today could discover that hidden secret and unwrap a line of history as rich as Milkmans.

I want to know Morrison's secret, sure she knows something about this story that no one else knows. The characters used to be her friends, they spoke to her long enough for her to tell their story. They chose to come alive through the mind of Morrison. I wonder what else she knows about them. About Pilate, Macon, Milkman, Guitar, First Corithians, Magdalene, Sweet, Song, Ruth, Hagar and all of the characters that chose Morrison. Out of all of the writers in the world, they chose her. I guess they knew that she would tell it just like it was. She wouldn't add too much or take away any. She would feed it to us straight, no quarrels or quams.

I put the book down, feeling free. Free to discover, uncover, grow...fly. Morrison tells the world about black people, about their culture, their lifestyle, the way they think. She does all of this without making them seem inhuman...We are indeed much like everyone else. The story flows easy. The story means something, the story is the last breathe before one decides to give up.

This life thing surpasses beauty!

No comments: