Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Porch-Monkey

Scene: Bliss walks into her office at work and the white girl sitting behind the third desk has a question mark on her face. We share the usual pleasantries and I sit down and pretend that I am ready for what the day has in store for me.

Here comes the question: The white girl says, "I have a question for you, well...let me tell you the whole story."

Summary: She spoke with her ex-husband. He is white. She had a child by a black man. Ex just found out.

Ready for this: amongst calling her son a Nigger. He called her son a Porch Monkey.

Conversation: She asked me was that a negative slur used against black people. I tell her yes. She asked me why.

My Answer: Porch Monkeys were the lighter skinned black people that had the privilege of going into the "BIG HOUSE". You had House Niggers and Field Niggers. Porch Monkey was just another name for House Niggers.


Requesting Your Help: I felt that my answer may have been a little too vague. Is there anyone out there in blog land that can help me?

3 comments:

Tafari said...

OMG! 1:she needs to leave the ex alone, he is an ex for a reason. 2:she needs to realize that the world is cruel when you cross the color lines.

I think you answer was on point & I would be interested in knowing what the baby daddy thought about the comment???

Since we are on the topic, I just googled "porch monkey" & found this

http://tinyurl.com/jo7v2

Thanks for keeping it real on the clock Bliss

...they call me "L" said...

Peace Bliss. First,it's not your job to explain why this term is a racial slur against black people. She should maybe ask her baby's daddy and leave you out of it! Second, your response was indeed rite on. Man, I really wish this woman luck in raising her child...the world is indeed cruel and she's in for some major reality chex.

Bliss said...

Grace and Peace

Bygbaby: the fact of the matter is, I don't think she asked the baby daddy. Seeing as she is not with him either.

Tha L: I thought that I would tell her just so she wouldn't say it to the wrong person and get her ass kicked. I honestly think that she was scared to ask the baby daddy (plus he might not know what it is). I told her that her and her child are in for a true journey.